Life has a way of throwing ironic curve balls. A few weeks ago, I elected to have surgery on my left ankle. My diagnosis was a peroneal tendon tear with ankle instability. My surgery was a peroneal brevis repair with Brostrom lateral ligament reconstruction. Over the next several weeks I will chronicle my preparation for surgery, post-op recovery & therapy with my end goal in mind of skiing with my family this winter.
Having helped thousands of patients through a similar event I was confident that I knew how to handle this situation. Prior to surgery I made a checklist of items to make my recovery as easy as possible. Some of these items are time tested and true, while others are more evolving technology. I purchased or rented all of these through FootSourceMD
, who I must say are wonderful.
- Crutches that are spring loaded, In Motion (spring loaded)
These are more efficient and more comfortable.
- Turning Leg Caddy
- Cast cover so I could shower- FootSourceMD carries 2 types. Seal Tight or Dry Pro (2 styles). Seal Tight
is used for patients to sit while showering and will fit both soft or hard cast - Dry Pro
is 100% waterproof and fits hard cast only - great for summer swimming.
- Adjustable Shower Bench
so I would not fall over balancing on one leg.
- DonJoy cold therapy- DonJoy IceMan- call FootSourceMD
- TENS unit. This gives a low level electrical current that decreases the pain experienced at the brain. Very helpful
- NMES ( neuromuscular electrical stimulation ) to keep my muscles contracting at a low safe level. This is to minimize the atrophy while I am not on the leg and to potentiate the contractions once I begin my physical therapy
- 20-30 Compression ribbed socks to keep swelling to a minimum.
- Anti inflammatory medication. I chose Celebrex
for its long half life and being easier on my stomach.
- Antibiotics. A short duration after surgery so that my wound remains clean.
- Pain medication; which I took very little of.
- Pillow by bedside to help elevate
- Be really nice to my wife Diane and my kids Logan and Jenna since I am their captive for awhile.
- Computer and Ipad by couch so that I do not get bored.
- Remove any throw rugs, backpacks & shoes from the house so that I will trip over them on my crutches.