Skip to content
Foot and Ankle Physical Therapy
Foot Source MD Retail
Diabetic Foot Care
Major and Minor Fractures
Research & Innovation
What to Expect
Refer a Patient
Back to Blogs
Supplements, a Good Alternative
May 6, 2013
As we mentioned in our previous blogs, obtaining nutrients necessary for optimal bone health from whole food sources is preferred. This is because we know that nutrients from food are absorbed and utilized by the body most efficiently. At times, however, there is a need to supplement. Some nutrient levels are difficult to achieve from food alone, or for some individuals, dietary restrictions make it impossible. In these situations, supplementation can be an efficacious and convenient way to make sure that you’re meeting the requirements. For example, it’s almost impossible to fulfill your vitamin D needs from diet alone.
We all know we can get vitamin D from the sun, but only during half of the year and then only during certain hours. Here, supplementation is necessary. For instance, if you were to eat the amount of vitamin D we recommend (1000 IU per day), you would have to drink about 9 glasses of milk daily! If you’re lactose intolerant or avoid eating dairy, supplementing with calcium is a wise choice (women especially). The same goes for the higher amounts of vitamin C and zinc that are needed during periods of healing. These two nutrients work synergistically, therefore it’s imperative that you get adequate amounts of each every day (about 500 mg vitamin C and 12-15 mg zinc). Lastly, we advise taking an Omega-3 fatty acid supplement. Eating fish two times per week is a great healthy habit, but won’t get you the recommended dosage of about one gram per day. Sometimes wild fish high in these nutrients are not available, are too expensive, or are cause for concern regarding mercury toxicity. Taking a supplement that is tested for its purity is surefire way to make sure you’re getting your daily dose of the good fatty acids (DHA and EPA) without the pollutants. The physicians at OFAC and staff of
are working together to provide you with the specific supplementation regime that you need for your unique situation. At FootSourceMD, we are therefore, pleased to introduce a selection of high quality nutraceuticals that fits in line with what your physician will recommend. Our nutraceuticals are from
Ortho Molecular Products
, a company that has successfully combined evidence-based formulations and superior raw ingredients to develop efficacious supplements that help patients get better faster. The purity and potency of their products are tested and the company follows GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) requirements and has achieved organic certification.
The supplements that we have available for you include:
1) Alpha Base Multi: A complete multivitamin and multimineral supplement that supports optimal bone health and contains fully reacted minerals utilizing optimal absorption.
2) Orthomega: Omega-3 fatty acid supplement containing both DHA and EPA in their natural triglyceride state (better absorbed than the ethyl ester fish oils that are most commonly available).
3) Vitamin D 5000 IU: Strongly encouraged to be taken by all patients, especially during the fall, winter, and spring months.
4) Vascuzyme: An enteric blend of high-potency enzymes and flavonoids promoting a speedier post-surgical recovery. Studies show that enzyme therapy reduces post-operative swelling, pain, and stiffness.
5) Pro Bono: A convenient AM/PM packet supplement containing all the necessary components for maximum bone mineral density and strength; includes a multi-vitamin. Remember that nothing takes the place of a healthy diet. With this said, supplementation is an additional way to help you achieve optimal health and may aid in a faster surgical recovery with reduced risk for post-operative complications. We hope that this information will give you the confidence and knowledge to make good dietary choices. If you have any questions please discuss with your physician and the staff at
Skip to content